So back to Thursday when I ran out…a bunch of us ended up going out to a bar where the friend of one of the girls on the program works. Good times and a very late (or early, depending on how you look at it) bedtime.
Friday was the first time that we didn’t have anything scheduled, meaning I slept in until 1. Don’t judge me. Grace and I went to Odeon to grab a bite to eat, then met up with a few others to see a movie. (I highly recommend “The King’s Speech,” btdubs) Then I came back and just relaxed. And today has been much of the same. I woke up early (10am- for me that’s early), saw that it was raining, then went back to sleep until 1 or so. I walked around the neighborhood for a little bit to familiarize myself with it. From my adventures today, I think I can walk to the Eiffel Tower from where I live, so I’ll try that someday when it’s not pouring. I also ventured into the Office Depot across from where I live. Very small and just a bit pricey for school supplies. If it's still rainy like this tomorrow, I'll just head to the Louvre; I've got a free pass, I might as well use it.
And I was just introduced (literally) to the new girl that will be living with us for the next two months. Her name is Anna and she’s from Venezuela and she seems really nice. Gotta say, this is truly an international household with people from the US, Venezuela, and Brazil. And Louise is Indonesian. It’s kinda crazy.
I really haven’t done much this week besides trying to settle in. With classes starting this week and me being able to move into my room this upcoming weekend, I think that will make it better. This is a big change coming from South Jersey to here.
Let’s see, what else:
-The metro is an interesting experience, but I think I’m getting pretty good at it. I mean, I do miss my car, but I def would not want to drive here in Big Blue.
-Little Parisian children are the cutest. Ex) Monday on the tram, a little boy was asking his dad about St. Valentine and what he should get for his “petite amie” (girlfriend). Too cute.
-Les pains au chocolat are the best things ever. I think today was the first day since I’ve been here that I haven’t eaten one.
-One that note, I don’t feel bad about eating all of those pastries because of the amount of walking I do. Oh, and the stairs. Seriously. GRBF- we are comparing calves when I return- I bet you that mine are better.
-I’ve also already been called out on my Jersey accent. And my Jersey attitude. I thought I was doing good at keeping them both hidden. Oops.
-I miss the quiet. To me, it’s weird hearing sirens and taxis and vespas and whatnot at 2am. It’s also weird living 8 floors up in an apartment building, but I’ll get used to it.
-“French” foods tried so far: foie gras (pretty damn good when eaten with a baguette), lamb, croque madame, PAIN AU CHOCOLAT (so good), every kind of cheese imaginable after every dinner- I’m not sure if I’ll get used to that, but Camembert is pretty good
-I have yet to try crepes and macaroons. I’ll get there, no worries.
Alright, peace out cub scout.
I'LL TAKE YOUR CALVES CHALLENGE AND I'LL WIN MWAHHHHHHHH
ReplyDeletecrepes are fantastic. youll love them. and i politely request that you do jers proud.
ReplyDeleteHey Caroline,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say hi and say that I've been loving your stories so far- its a nice little break in my day!
It sounds amazing all the things you are getting to do and see and eat. You def have to bring me a sample of the chocolat :)
Keep the stories coming,
Stacy :)