Thursday, March 3, 2011

Weekend Exploring

I know, I've been slacking with the whole updating thing- oops. The past week has been really good. Saturday I went to Monmartre with Joscelyn, Grace and one of the girls I live with, Ana. It's a cute little part of the city where many artists (used to and currently) live, if not a little tourist-y. Right by the metro stop we all exited, there's a wall where "I Love You" is written in over 300 languages (I think- I'm not sure if there's really 300, but it looks like a lot). It was a really cute photo op.

Then we climbed all the steps up to Sacre Coeur- remind me to never do that again (granted, I probably will, because where's the fun in taking the little tram car up?)
(There were actually more stairs, but we went up the side)

 (View of Paris from Sacre Coeur)


We also hit up the Moulin Rouge, but it's not really my favorite place and the area it's in is a tad sketch.
Sunday started out with me exploring on my own a little bit. I've decided that since I haven't found the English-speaking masses yet, I'll visit a different church every Sunday (which won't be too difficult figuring this is Paris) for a little bit and say a rosary (thanks for the present GRBF). This week was Eglise St. Madeleine. It is absolutely beautiful and a lot calmer than Notre Dame (duh).

Then Joscelyn texted me. Here's how our conversation went:
J: Weird question: do you want to go visit the cemetary with me?
Me: Weirder question: which one? I'll meet you there.
Yeah, so Paris has a few cemetaries where many famous men and women are buried, and which seem to be tourist destinations. The most famous of these is Cimetiere Pere Lachaise, where Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde are infamously buried. Now, I'm not a big Doors fan, but visiting Morrison's grave is something you just have to do. So after walking around for an hour and coming up empty handed, we decided to start following a large group of English speaking people and found what we came for:
I'll be back to visit Wilde's grave (and bring some red lipstick), plus I want to pay my repsects to Gertrude Stein and a few artists.

1 comment:

  1. While I thoroughly approve of visiting a different church every sunday with your rosary beads, I'm thinking that you'll need an actual mass at some point. Google does wonders. Also, have you forgotten masstimes.org? Type in Paris, France and then search by languages.

    ReplyDelete